Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veterans Day

It is the day after Veterans Day. I wanted to wait a day before I wrote something because the actual day is so full of emotion for me I wanted to digest those thoughts and feelings first and then write whatever came to my mind.

First, I want to thank my fellow veterans for serving. We are a small minority of the American citizenry, roughly 7.2% of all American men and only 0.6% of American women are veterans. No group more proud, yet humble.

Thinking back on my experiences and what I learned, I had a few thoughts:

The Flag – The flag holds a special meaning for the veteran. While serving in the military you quickly learn that the flag stands for home and is your “home base”. No matter where you are in the world, seeing that flag brings an indescribable feeling of home and more than that, it contains the ideals of America and the countrymen we serve. This is why veterans have the special privilege to be able to salute the flag whether in uniform or not, rather than what all other citizens are called to do; place your hand over your heart when addressing the flag.

The Smell of an Envelope – I am sorry to say, but the newest generation of service men and women may never experience this. Because of ever advancing communication technology like email, text and video messaging, you’ve probably never received a hand written letter from home. I can remember receiving letters from family and (especially) girl friends and the first thing you would do is smell the inside of the envelope. That wisp of air contains memories of home.

Elderly Veterans – I can hardly control my emissions even as I write this! For me, looking into the eyes of an elderly veteran, especially one who has been in battle, is more than I can bear. Getting to meet a veteran of WWII or Korea, is tough for me. It’s something about the years they’ve lived after their service that means so much to me. Veterans day is probably the only day of the year these heroes are actually appreciated.

That’s about it. Only one last thing; did you know that TAPS has lyrics? Here they are:

Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright
From afar drawing nigh, Falls the night.

Day is done, gone the sun
From the hills, from the lake, from the sky
All is well, safely rest;
God is nigh.

Then goodnight, peaceful night;
Till the light of the dawn shineth bright.
God is near, do not fear,
Friend, goodnight.

1 comment:

Jill said...

This post is breath taking. Thank you!!