Thursday, September 21, 2006

Merely in the Flesh

Jeremiah 9:25 "The days are coming", declares the LORD, "when I will punish all who are circumcised merely in the flesh"

God tells us that circumcision of the body (outward) is useless without circumcision of the heart (inward). For ancient Israel, circumcision was a sign of both repentance and faith. Some, like Abraham, received the sign after trusting God. Others, like Issaac, were cut before confessing faith. Likewise, believers on this side of the cross have signs that indicate a decision to believe and follow Christ has been made. For some it is the very point at which you make the confession, whether spoken out loud or by silently saying a "sinners prayer", that conversion occurs. Others point to baptism as the moment of conversion. I am sure there are any number of other opinions as to exactly when salvation occurs.

Now in my sixth year after first placing my trust in Christ, I have wondered about the person who professes faith, is baptized, attends church on a regular basis and for all intents and purposes "does" Christianity just fine from an outward perspective. Yet, internally, no change has occurred. There is no hunger for the Word, no fear for the one who can throw him into hell, no desire to tithe and in whom is found every desire for the world. To some, faith is wrapped up in their own checklist of good works. I know Christianity isn't a checklist. For some when they say they've become a Christian it means they've stopped drinkning, stopped swearing, etc. Rather, true conversion is signified by an immediate inward change that manifests itself by the fruit of the spirit. No, I am not saying that one must become sinless, but that is contrasted by the person whose lifestyle is one thing when they are around "church folk" and something completely different around non-church folk. My point is this; regardless of timing, these signs bring no lasting benefits unless the recipient is inwardly converted.

I raise this topic as a lead in for the next posting I am working on. Read Matthew 7:15-23. It is, for me, the most terrifying scripture in the entire Bible.

No comments: