Friday, June 12, 2009

More Scientific Backtracking

I remember back in the mid 80s I really became a paleontology buff and that is when I first read about the link between dinosaurs evolving into modern birds. I thought that was the coolest thing. I also can remember that being a theme throughout the 1993 movie Jurassic Park. The character of Dr. Grant, played by Sam Neil, was a leading expert on the subject. I remember how in the last scene in the movie, after all the chaos and excitement, as they flew off of the Island Dr. Neil looked out the window of the helicopter and saw a flock of pelicans flying along with them. OOOOoooo!

What a bunch of hooey. That was then. Now, if you've spent anytime reading some of the science related articles I've written, you know I am not in that camp any more.

I just read an article that, alas, has scientists rethinking that "theory". The article called Discovery Raises New Doubts About Dinosaur-Bird Links shows just how far from the truth scientists can be led all because they want the data to fit nicely into their preconceived agenda, and when it doesn't, who cares. A couple of notes:

  • When you link over to the article notice the section that is called Related Stories, it's about half way down the page on the right. It lists past articles like Velociraptor Had Feathers and Dinosaur Smelling Skills Opens New Chapter on Bird Evolution.
  • How many High School text books now need to be edited? In actuality, when it comes to biology, every year the data changes so much that the previous years text book is already outdated.

No comments: