Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ida Had Her 15 Minutes

I wrote two articles this past spring about the events that unfolded over the finding of THE missing link. A lemur like fossil known as 'Ida' was heralded in the media as the find that all of the Darwinian scientists have been looking for that link early mammals to humans. Magazines and newspapers ran it and showed all of the high-fiving going on. Wow.

Paleontologists claimed that this fossil equated to finding the holy grail. Ida so concretely upheld Darwinian evolution they named the species "Darwinius".

I'll dispense with a lot of my own commentary because today I read in Scientific American an article called Weak Link: Fossil Darwinius has It's 15 Minutes. I have to hand it to Kate Wong who wrote the article and Scientific American for printing it, even if it's only online. I'm not sure if they will place it in their magazine; I stopped subscribing to Scientific American in 1990.

Ms. Wong does a great job in this article. Even though Ms. Wong is clearly an evolutionist I applaud her calling out what is wrong with the supposed finding and the hype that followed. It worries me when scientists are not concerned with determining the truth of their findings, but rather used this as an opportunity to make money off of it even if they had to lie about the find.

No comments: