Monday, April 20, 2009

(Updated) Free Speech. It Comes At A Cost

I was shocked to read this morning that one of the Miss America pageant contestants was asked a politically charged question during the pageant. The normally politics-free pageant was asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger:


Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?


Miss California, Carrie Prejean, answered:


Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.

I am going to be curious to see how this plays out. Many think her answer may have cost her the crown, as she was awarded first runner up. My initial research shows that she was the only one asked that question.

Personally I think her answer is reasonable. I am not going to call her a hate monger or publish her address on a web site so that those who might disagree with her will terrorize her. But let's wait and see what the gay and lesbian activists do.

After Prop 8 passed in California, the gay lesbian activists did just what I mentioned. Using access to public records they obtained a list of people who donated money to pre-prop 8 causes. They then created a web site that showed a google map with the addresses overlaid onto the map. This way the so-called "people of tolerance" could (and have) terrorize those that supported prop 8. Hypocrites!

We are free to say what we want, but it always comes at a cost when hypocrites are involved.

Read the entire article and you'll also be able to see some of the reaction from those in attendance and a reply by the pageant's director. It's chock full of secular relativism (aka comedy gold).

Update: Perez Hilton, the judge that asked the question went on his video blog this morning. First, watch the actual event from last night and pay attention to the crowds response:





***Content Warning****

Here is the judges response on his video blog. Real classy. This is what I am talking about. The left's idea of free speach, "Believe what I believe otherwise SHUT UP".

Side Note: Did you hear the contestant get boo'd? I heard much more applause than I did a booing. Selective hearing.


No comments: