Thursday, April 23, 2009

The "Roose" of Christianity

I found this article to be fascinating. A must read: Ivy Leaguer `infiltrates' Falwell's university

It is about how a Brown University student named Kevin Roose transferred to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in an attempt to perform research for a book he planned to write about fundamentalist Christians called "The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University"

On one hand I have to chuckle a bit that Mr. Roose felt that Christians are a group worthy of some kind of anthropological study. But, I do have to give him credit for his approach to the project. He seemed to be fairly open minded even though he came to the university with a certain amount of negative preconceptions toward Christians.

IMPORTANT! This is all I ask of anyone and it is a rule I apply to myself. We all have preconceptions and assumptions. But are we brave enough to NOT allow our preconceptions and assumptions to affect the results? Too often this is what happens. In science and in journalism the truth is compromised because the results of research differ from what I want the result to be prior to beginning the research.

No comments: